Pre-Season Camp Information
Colorado Springs is one of the best running cities in America. Not only is our population very active in participating in road races, but we have an incredible amount of trails and parks to run on and explore. With our normal routine in cross country and track our team does not get to experience many of the great places to run in town. For this reason, our pre-season "camp" consists of traveling to 4 different locations around town for runs.
Each day we will be meeting at the locations indicated below. We will meet at 3:30 pm each day. Due to the parent's and coach's meeting on Tuesday, we will not meet that day.
On Friday, after we run the members of the team who ran will be invited to to a to-be-announced location for pizza and games or a movie. Only runners who attended camp on Friday will be invited to this fun team event!
Weather Information: Late July and early August are thunderstorm season in Colorado. We run when it's crazy, but not if its dangerous. If there is thunder and lightning and/or lots of rain we will not run. That being said, this is Colorado and the weather changes quickly. Check the blog on the front page of this site for weather-related announcements. Otherwise, plan on us not making a decision in the event of bad weather until the last possible moment. We do, however, trust the judgment of parents.
Monday, August 7th at 3:30: Cheyenne Mountain State Park
- We will meet at the Day Use Trailhead
- This is a State Park, so it costs $7 per car to get into the park
- Car pool and plan on bringing a couple of dollars if you are riding with someone else
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park Web Site
Wednesday, August 9th at 3:30: Monument Valley Park
- We will meet by the picnic tables next to the restrooms near the start/finish line of the MVP cross country course
- Exit I-25 at Uintah. Go east on Uintah to Cascade. Head north on Cascade to Fontanero. Go west on Fontanero until you cannot go west any more. Park and follow the trail down the hill.
- Map of Monument Valley Park
Thursday, August 10th at 3:30: El Pomar Youth Complex and Santa Fe Trail
- We will meet at the concession stand and Park Office +Take I25 to Circle. Go east on Circle to Janitell (after Goodwill). Go south on Janitell to Executive Circle. Turn left on Executive Circle and left into the parking lot after the road curves to the right.
- El Pomar Sports Complex Info
Friday, August 11th at 3:30: Bear Creek Regional Park and... TBA!
- We will meet at Bear Creek Regional Park in the same place we run on Friday's during the summer.
- Take I-25 North to Cimarron. Take Cimarron west to 21st Street. Turn left (south) on 21st Street. Stay on 21st to Rio Grande. Turn left on Rio Grande. Turn right at Creek Crossing Street and follow it down to the park admin building. (This is not the fastest way, but is the simplest. If you know a faster way feel free to take it!)
- After our run we will have dinner and fun at a location to be announced. Show up to camp before Friday for details!
If you have any questions, let Coach Nelson know!
See you there!